There are several low-cost ways that you can help secure your Information Technology (IT) assets, including:
- Strong Passwords: Use strong and unique passwords for each of your accounts. A strong password is a mix of upper and lower case letters, numbers, and special characters.
- Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA): Enable MFA wherever possible. This will add an extra layer of security to your accounts, making it more difficult for unauthorized individuals to access your information.
- Regular Software Updates: Keep your software and operating systems up-to-date with the latest security patches and updates. These updates often contain important security fixes that can protect your system from vulnerabilities.
- Anti-Virus Software: Install anti-virus software on your computer and keep it updated. This software can help detect and remove malware and other malicious software.
- Firewall: Enable a firewall to block unauthorized access to your computer or network.
- Backup Your Data: Regularly back up your data to an external hard drive or cloud storage service. This will ensure that you can recover your data if your computer is ever compromised.
- Educate Yourself: Stay informed about the latest security threats and best practices for protecting your information. Attend workshops, read articles, and join online communities to learn more about IT security.